So this weekend I went back to Yorkshire to see my parents for the first time in a while. The are times when i get nostalgic for it and it was incredibly hot (given that the previous week I had witnessed snow in Scotland). Living in liverpool has the downside that it rains a lot of time. I imagine Seattle and Liverpool to be quite similar in terms of climate (although I have never been to Seattle).
I haven’t done a top 5 list for a while so here is my list of 5 things I miss about my homeland
1) York. As in olde York. The one built over two millenia by Romans, Saxons, Vikings and Normans. The one with esoteric bookshops and cafes tucked into improbable niches in the city’s serpentine streets. I have never been to New York but for all it’s cultural cross pollination, I doubt the tea is as nice.
2) Dogs in pubs. They seem to be a rarity in non rural areas, but in large areas of North Yorkshire you can barely move for tripping over some Landlord’s mangy hound.
3) The Tea. Yorkshire tea (as in the brand) is actually really, really good.
4) The Yorkshire Riviera. The costal region stretching down from the desolate splendour of Robin Hood’s bay through the modern day Gomorrah that is Scarborough to Hornsea, it’s my favorite seascape anywhere
5) Flat caps, whippets et al.