I’ve been asked to produce a top 5 ways the Wars of the Roses could have been concluded without violence:
1) Cricket (assuming you could build a time machine that could capture Yorkshire’s best players in their prime, we might have a chance. Alternatively we could send Geoff Boycott back in time Terminator stylee to kill Andrew Flintoff’s mum before his birth. That would require some violence but not much)
2) Beer festival face-off (see entry below)
3) Food off (a variant of 2), and Yorkshire has definitely produced better food (Wensleydale and Yorkshire puddings for example. Except a pie eating contest would result in a win for Lancashire.
4) A quiet fire side chat between the Houses of York and Lancaster could have saved everyone involved a lot of bother (and death)
5) Umm running out of ideas.. a sheep shearing competition?